The significance and place for Fitness has been in my routine ever since I remember my childhood days. What is funny though, is the way I learnt its importance - As a defense mechanism. I am a chronic asthmatic patient which was detected at the age of 9-10 years or may be even before that. As a toddler and pre-adolescent, I was plump-ish in shape in spite of having sports in my routine which affected my confidence in a very adverse way. Funnily enough, being committed to sports wasn't difficult for me even at that age. What I struggled till I reached mid 20s was the comparisons!
From the teens I have always been quite lean! Unfortunately by then I had associated so much anger to the comparisons that my fitness failed to show its great effects in my spirits! I had lost all the confidence long time back, so I could never recognize that I am enough fit that it looks very good to be in my own skin! Today at 30, I can clearly identify how my perspective, training regimes and its benefits have evolved over these years!
If I can turn back time, I'd tell myself these things and correct what went wrong in my approach towards fitness.
- Fitness is a means of self discovery. Any other reason to resort to it is going to affect its results.
- Stop taking your anger out on work outs, it is a by product, not a motive to exercise.
- Being happy in your own skin will elevate the quality of fitness to a level you can't even imagine!
- No one is perfect! The imperfections in your body actually add to your beauty as it is natural!
- Slow results are actually long lasting results. Never settle for short term gains!