It's getting hotter and lemonades are slowly replacing afternoon teas in my home. So I decided to take it one step further. In the interest of creating a classic lemon cheesecake that works for the way I eat now (gluten minimal and dairy free), here's my version of this incredibly delicious dessert.
I should warn you though. After a while, especially when you have people in the family who are very fond of dairy, they tend to become suspicious only after you mention that the cheesecake is gluten free and dairy free. 😂
Has anyone else ever been at the receiving end of food being labelled “too healthy”? I honestly don't even know what that means. Or “diet food”. Couldn't care less. Or the dreaded “zero fat”. Why? Just why? 😡
I am one of those people who has learnt that if something tastes like it has been created specifically to punish me for wanting dessert, I probably won't eat it. And neither will my family. My uncle, who is a chef, literally makes a face at the mention of such things. He is also one of the people who taught me the sheer joy of cooking and, equally importantly, the joy of eating.
So you can imagine my delight when even he couldn't figure out what was different about this cheesecake. I let him have his piece and some more. I waited. And then I told him.
“It's dairy free and gluten free.” There was that typical face. A pause. And then a smile. “Alright. I give you this one.” 😂
I'll take that as a compliment. Because that is exactly what I want from the recipes I'm creating. I don't want food that announces its restrictions before you take the first bite. I want food that makes you go back for another piece and only later makes you ask, “Wait, what's actually in this?”
This lemon cheesecake is creamy, bright and full of fresh lemon flavor. It has a lovely little biscuit base, a protein boost from the protein powder and silken tofu, and it comes together without an oven. It is also ridiculously simple.
Crumble the biscuits. Mix them with ghee. Press the mixture into your dish. Blend everything for the filling. Pour. Chill. And then try not to keep opening the refrigerator to check whether it has set. I make about six portions because, honestly, making it any smaller would be rather cruel. 🤣
And that's the real reason I enjoy creating recipes like this. They fit into real kitchens. They fit into family life. They can be made on an ordinary afternoon when you weren't really planning to make dessert at all.
And sometimes the best recipes are the ones where someone at the table takes a bite, looks at you suspiciously and says, “Are you sure this is the healthy version?” And you get to smile. Because they already had seconds.
As always, if you make this, tell me the story behind your cheesecake too. Who made it? Who was suspicious? Who took the first bite? And most importantly, who went back for another piece?
I have a feeling every recipe has a story hiding somewhere in the kitchen. 😍
Products I used that are available on amazon:



No comments:
Post a Comment