Saturday, 9 May 2026

Mother's Day and the Children Who Never Felt Mothered

 




If Mother's Day hurts, this is for You. Let me talk to you about a grief that many people carry but very few know how to name. I call it 'the mother wound'. If home was the first place you learned to survive, your confusion is real.

If you've spent years trying to make sense of it, perhaps I can help decode some of that confusion. For many survivors, the pattern doesn't become visible until adulthood. Sometimes it appears through a difficult boss. Sometimes through a close friend. Most often, through a romantic relationship.

You think you've met someone difficult. Instead, you've stumbled into something strangely familiar. That familiarity isn't accidental. For years, I immersed myself in understanding narcissistic abuse. Partly because I was fascinated by human behavior, but mostly because I was desperate to understand my own life.

During that journey, I came across many descriptions of narcissistic patterns. Some researchers describe grandiose and vulnerable presentations. Others discuss patterns such as somatic, cerebral, communal, or malignant narcissism. Whether these labels are clinically recognized or simply useful frameworks, they all pointed me towards one unsettling realization.

The personalities may look different. The pattern rarely does. They consume your emotional energy. They violate your boundaries. They give very little while convincing you that they have sacrificed everything for you. They provoke you until you finally react, then use that reaction as an evidence that you are the unstable one.

Over time, you stop trusting your own memory. Your own instincts. Your own reality. Not because you are weak but because you have been conditioned to question yourself. One of the most confusing aspects of psychological abuse is how quickly the abusive person can return to behaving as though nothing happened.

Meanwhile, you are left carrying the emotional aftermath. Eventually, you begin wondering whether you're the problem simply because you are still hurting. That confusion is part of the abuse. My own healing didn't begin when I understood narcissism. It began when I understood what growing up with chronic emotional abuse had done to my nervous system, my attachment patterns, and my relationship with myself.

That understanding changed everything. For years, I believed I had simply been unlucky with people. One painful relationship after another. Manipulative relatives. Emotionally unsafe siblings. Toxic friends dragging me into their romantic lives who slowly made me question my own reality.

It felt like different stories with different people. In truth, I was living the same story with different characters. That doesn't mean survivors somehow attract abusive people. Manipulative people exist everywhere.

The difference is that childhood conditioning often teaches us to ignore what others would walk away from. We explain away disrespect. We over empathize with harmful behavior. We mistake inconsistency for complexity. We believe love is something to be earned. We stay because leaving feels more unfamiliar than suffering.

Until we heal, familiarity often feels safer than health. That's why the same dynamics quietly reappear in different relationships, even when the personalities themselves look completely different.

Healing doesn't guarantee you'll never meet another manipulative person. It changes how quickly you recognize the pattern. It changes what you excuse. It changes what you tolerate. And most importantly, it changes what you believe you deserve.

When one of your parents consistently manipulates, shames, controls, or emotionally neglects you, childhood becomes less about discovering who you are and more about learning who you need to become in order to survive. You become hyper-vigilant. You become accommodating. You become exceptionally skilled at anticipating other people's needs while losing sight of your own.

People often describe healing as rebuilding yourself. For many adult children of emotionally abusive parents, it feels different. It isn't rebuilding. It's meeting yourself for the very first time. You aren't trying to return to the person you once were. You're trying to discover the person you never had the chance to become.

So today, on Mother's Day, this is for everyone who grew up with a mother whose love was conditional, unpredictable, controlling, emotionally neglectful, or emotionally unsafe. I see you, I understand you and I know what you survived!

Your story is real. Your grief is real. And the mother wound you carry is real. For many years, I never understood why Mother's Day felt so uncomfortable to me. Healing gave me that answer. It wasn't because I lacked gratitude. It was because I was grieving something I never truly had.

If today feels complicated rather than celebratory, know that you are not alone. Healing is possible. Finding yourself is possible. Building relationships that feel safe is possible.

One day, Mother's Day may no longer be about grieving the mother you didn't have. It may become a celebration of the parent you are becoming to yourself. And perhaps, for the very first time, home will no longer be a place you survived. It will be a place you finally find within yourself.

No comments:

When the Distance Feels Too Far

      There comes a point in some parents' lives when the silence feels heavier than words. The calls become less frequent, the visits g...