FnAQ - My car smells odd during the rains every time I sit in it. I don't know what can be done to make the odd smell go without using strong car fresheners as I am severely allergic to them.
Short answer: The most common cause of a musty smell during the rainy season is trapped moisture. Keeping the inside of your car as dry as possible is the best long term solution. If you're looking for a gentle alternative to artificial air fresheners, you could try a natural option such as Bhimseni camphor, provided you're comfortable with its fragrance.
Long answer: The first step is to reduce the amount of moisture that stays inside your car. Whenever possible, remove wet items like umbrellas, raincoats, shoes, floor mats, or towels after each journey. Even small amounts of trapped moisture can encourage mold and mildew, which are often responsible for that damp, musty smell.
During the rainy season, it also helps to clean and vacuum the interior a little more frequently than usual, especially the carpets and floor mats, as they tend to hold moisture. If the smell persists even after keeping the car dry, it's worth getting the cabin air filter and air conditioning system checked. A damp cabin filter or moisture inside the AC vents can also cause unpleasant odors during humid weather.
Since I'm severely allergic to artificial fragrances myself, I completely understand wanting to avoid strong air fresheners. Personally, I've found Bhimseni camphor to be a gentle alternative in my own car. It absorbs mild odors while leaving behind a natural fragrance that I tolerate well. Of course, everyone's sensitivities are different, so it's worth trying only if you're comfortable with its scent.
The goal isn't to mask the smell. It's to remove the moisture that's causing it in the first place.
Hope this helps!
Lots of love!
No comments:
Post a Comment